[linux-audio-dev] Re: GPL Audio Hardware

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 05 2006 - 03:29:58 EEST

On 4/5/06, carmen <ix@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > I think you are missing the point. The current design for OGD1 is a
> > large FPGA with lots of onboard fast RAM and high speed IO ability.
> > Tim is wondering if such a card (perhaps with some modification for
> > audio) would be useful to the audio community.
>
> there are several commercial PCI/Firewire products similar to this. namely
> the Pulsar, UAD1, TC PowerCore, and a recent card from Creative. they
> generally provide DACs and onboard DSP to be used for synths/fx for audio
> production, or in creative's case, gaming..
>
> considering how many LADSPA plugins are straight up broken on 64bit, for
> example, i doubt theres a critical mass of developer interest to make them
> run on an optional DSP card , especially before making them run on the core
> CPU that AMD has been selling the past 3 or 4 years. can GCC compile C code
> to run on the FPGA? that could be a swing factor..
>
> i dont think im missing the point of what the card can do. but i think most
> of us would foremost like something that can be used with low latency with
> JACK, of suitable quality and portability, and not have to worry about the
> developer deciding no longer to make ALSA drivers next week because 96% of
> their users run MacOSX or WinXP..
>
> Carmen

I'd never pay 500 euro for a dsp card. Never. A sound card, with nice
pre's etc yeah, maybe. I can get a whole lot of cpu for 500 euro. I
think this covers the whole client side dsp thing as stated on
ardour's website. For that price i can buy 2 dual core amd64 4200+
cpus. I think that would be a better use of the money and do more
audio dsp. To me a card like the layla or 1010 is good for 300 euro or
less, but dsp chips are no use.

Loki