Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] music engine

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 08 2006 - 01:01:46 EEST

On Friday 07 April 2006 19:44, torbenh@email-addr-hidden wrote:
[...]
> > Basically, just don't assume that a pointer is 32 bits, and you're
>
> but those bytecode interpreters of pd and such just assume, that int
> and pointer are the same size...

Yeah, it's tempting to do it that way... I'm not doing any of that in
EEL though, and that's using a byte code VM too.

It definitely helps to have portability in mind all the way from the
design stage, especially with that kind of code. (Inherently messy,
in a way...)

> well... perhaps it would work ok, if the integer was changed to
> int64 also...
>
> dont ask me. i did not look at the code...

Are they using computed gotos or similar, or is this a struct/union
problem?

Either way, I can't see why it couldn't be fixed, but I can see a few
design styles that would require some 32/64 #ifdefs. Could be a bit
hairy to track all spots down if the pointer size is implicitly built
into the code. (Something I try to avoid in general. You never know
when, why or what you might want to change down the road.)

.------- http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples -------.
| http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine |
| http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine |
| http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting |