Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2

From: Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 14:44:22 EEST

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 10:53 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> Almost two years ago at the LA conference a bunch of us agreed that
> something need to be done to improve LADSPA, and on the approximate
> direction it should take.
>
> Anyway, I finally got round to making a sketch plugin and .h file:
> http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa2/

Great!

The .ttl file syntax looks really good.

I have a few suggestions, though:

 - GUI support. A standardized, well defined way for plugins
   to supply a graphical user interface of it's own.

 - Port units should be defined in a way that plugin hosts know
   what these units are. The label is not good enough for hosts.

     Instead of:
       ladspa:units "dB"

     We could have:
       ladspa:units#db
       rdfs:label "dB"
   (thanks for the syntax Steve. I hope I understood correctly)

If hosts understand which units are used it gives the them a possibility
to create better GUIs for the plugins. For example, if a parameter is in
dB, the host can provide a widget more suitable for gain entry.

But this would offer even greater benefits than widget selection: hosts
could give users the possibility to give time values relative to
beats/bars. (Without any need for the plugin to know about the tempo).
Think delays synchronized with the song tempo, for example.

The plugin could also give hints if a parameter should/could be given in
beats/bars or absolute time.

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2@email-addr-hidden>