Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 19:10:34 EEST

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 02:44:22PM +0300, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> > Anyway, I finally got round to making a sketch plugin and .h file:
> > http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa2/
>
> Great!
>
> The .ttl file syntax looks really good.

Yes, it's nice to write, unlike RDF/XML, which is a PITA. There aren't as
many RDF librries tha can read it, but the majority (including raptor) can.

> I have a few suggestions, though:
>
> - GUI support. A standardized, well defined way for plugins
> to supply a graphical user interface of it's own.

I would advocate the DSSI protocol, and placing the executable in the
bundle.

> - Port units should be defined in a way that plugin hosts know
> what these units are. The label is not good enough for hosts.
>
> Instead of:
> ladspa:units "dB"
>
> We could have:
> ladspa:units#db
> rdfs:label "dB"
> (thanks for the syntax Steve. I hope I understood correctly)

I think you have, to be perfectly clear, I think you mean (in longhand):

In the plugin file
<some plugin> ladspa:unit units:db .

and then in the schema file:
units:db rdfs:label "dB" .

ie. label the plugins with a URI (symbol) and then annotate the symbol
with its name globally.

I thought about doing that in the example, but I though maybe the extra
level of indirection would put people off. It would let the hosts do more
intelligent things with control ports though, like you suggested.

- Steve