Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 22 2006 - 20:47:40 EEST

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 18:25 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 01:06:26PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > >
> > > Plugins have URIs! And ports have uniqe identifying numbers within the
> > > plugin. We could assign URIs to ports too, but I think thats going too
> > > far.
> >
> > I'm not going to suggest ID numbers go away, but I do think ports should
> > have a uniquely identifying string label. Primary reason being OSC
> > control, and using plugins in language bindings (ie python) - both
> > things that are getting much more prevalent now than when LADSPA first
> > arrived.
>
> OK, that's an argument I could buy. i'm still not completly convinced, but
> it does make some sense.

It's not useful from the perspective of writing a LADSPA host in C, but
I think the above two (actual real world) examples of where port ID's
are user exposed are justification enough.

> I guess you mean unique in plugin scope? It would also have to have some
> restriction on what values it could take, eg. [a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z0-9_]+ some
> kind of lowest common denominator between symbols for various languages
> would make sense.

Yeah, just unique to the plugin. (Though I guess that would imply the
port could have a URI like pluginuri/porturi but whatever).

I think the regexp you mentioned there is fine, though I think we should
add one separator character other than underscore for various reasons.
":" maybe?

As a side effect of this, what is now "label" should become
"description" and implicitly be Nice Human Readable Text, not
ugly_c_looking_identifiers (and units definitely need to be seperated).
"Description" is metadata though, so I guess it doesn't belong in the C
file.

-DR-