Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2 example plugin changes

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 23 2006 - 18:44:03 EEST

On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 09:29 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa2/
>
> First of all, I realised I was being cheeky by adding a feature I wanted
> (units), while refusing to consider anyone elses! So, I removed the units
> property from the Amp plugin. I'm happy to consider it a testcase and I
> will make a schema for it and start using it when/if LADSPA2 gets OKd by
> the community.
>
> I made 2 actual ABI changes:
>
> The path of the directory/bundle is passed to instantiate(). This is
> neccessary to make it actually useful. It could have been passed to other
> methods, but that seemed most appropriate.

"The BundlePath parameter is a string of the path to the plugin's
.ladspa2 bundle directory, it SHOULD not include the trailing /."

Might as well s/SHOULD/MUST/ so the plugin doesn't have to deal with it.
If it's just SHOULD there's not much point in wasting space mentioning
it.

Just an initial thought: how about adding a similar parameter for a
host-provided-things directory? This in combination with the
HostFeatures would allow a host to provide almost anything to plugins,
like a realtime memory allocator lib, some kind of shared memory scheme
for a GUI extension, etc. etc. Much more extensible without having to
break the ABI. Thoughts?

> For some potential features, like Fons' polyphonic control ports, it's hard
> for the plugin to detect wether the host is using the feature or not. I
> added an array of URIs to instantiate() that lets the host tell the plugin
> what hints etc. it supports. The plugin can then refuse to instantiate or
> fall back if it doesn't like the featureset.

I think this is an awesome idea, FWIW.

-DR-