Re: [linux-audio-dev] Todays changes to "LADSPA2" strawman

From: Lars Luthman <larsl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 18:24:38 EEST

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 15:09 +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:
> This format is really going to have to aim to grow into something that
> can replace DSSI as well. And while that could be great, it's a much
> more snaggly business -- DSSI has turned out pretty complicated, for
> some very sound reasons, and that has already helped it to be less
> popular than we'd hoped. If it was obvious that we could simplify it a
> lot the "LADSPA2" way, that would be great, but I don't see at first
> glance that it is.

With the port types specified in the RDF file, MIDI input should be
doable with explicit LADSPA2 ports of some defined MIDI type, which
means that we wouldn't need the run_synth() callback. The GUI
specification and the OSC protocol is already pretty much applicable to
LADSPA as well as DSSI, so that should work in LADSPA2 too. New
additions like MIDI output and transport info could also be done as port
types.

The things that aren't obvious how to do are

 1) the configure() callback
 2) the dynamic program lists and midi mappings (static definitions
    could be written in the RDF file, but that's no fun)
 3) program selection
 4) the run_multiple*() callbacks (how many plugins use these?)

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php