Re: [linux-audio-dev] Todays changes to "LADSPA2" strawman

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 19:40:11 EEST

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 15:09 +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:
> I haven't posted to this thread yet, for a couple of reasons besides the
> usual lack of time.
>
> One reason is that on a technical level I don't have any argument with
> most of what Steve says. Removing descriptive data from the plugin I
> think is a good principle. I'm not fond of this Turtle format, it is
> complicated and I don't find it easily "visually parseable" but it's
> still better than XML RDF, and so long as you can easily hack someone
> else's .ttl file to make your own, it probably isn't much of an issue.
> Technically it all looks pretty much OK.
>
> But the other reason is that I don't find much to make me care about the
> outcome at this stage. This may be a technically better way to design
> a LADSPA-like plugin API, but until it offers something significantly
> more useful than LADSPA, that's rather irrelevant to anyone outside
> this thread. A LADSPA 2 that is the same as LADSPA 1, "technically
> superior" but incompatible will probably fail. Authors of existing
> hosts won't want the trouble; plugin authors will put up with the
> potential extra work of doing LADSPA 1 to get better host coverage. So
> the aim is to do more interesting things with it afterwards. But what?

The idea is to make LADSPA2 such that new, interesting things can happen
as extensions without breaking things. LADSPA1 can't do this.

As an example, LADSPA2 of course does not specify anything about MIDI,
but MIDI processing LADSPA2 plugins can be built if someone defines an
extension to do so.

Even with major improvements like that aside, the ability to add new
handy pieces of metadata at will is enough of a win to make it
worthwhile, IMO.

LADSPA2 itself isn't very exciting, true. But what LADSPA2 will allow
is the most exciting linux audio thing to happen in a while, if you ask
me..

-DR-