Re: [linux-audio-dev] Todays changes to "LADSPA2" strawman

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Sun Apr 30 2006 - 13:37:28 EEST

On Sunday 30 Apr 2006 00:01, Dave Robillard wrote:
> We need a better API with which to build good, useful things.

So what are those things, and how will LADSPA2 get us to them? I'm not
looking for perfect foresight here, just some inspiring examples.

Just because one API is easier to extend than another, doesn't mean that
it will necessarily happen easily or in a useful way (i.e. with
consistent enough coverage from hosts or plugins to be really useful).
The logarithmic hint discussion here is an example of that -- it's just
about the most trivial thing that can be imagined as an application of
an extensible API, yet it's ended up in a lengthy discussion with no
consensus so far.

Chris