Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2 name

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 10:55:12 EEST

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 07:12:33 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
> Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > LV2
>
> What happened to the funny recursive acronyms?;). That they don't show
> up in a google search don't hold water; f.ex a search for JACK get
> you.. our beloved, sacred one.

They seem to be too much a matter of taste, and/or have negative
connotations in various languages. Trying to get everyone to agree on one
is just too much effort.

Feel free to try and get consensus on a word-like name, but I've lost all
enthusiasm for it. I think it's telling that the hardest part of this
whole process has been choosing a name, classic colour of the bikeshed
problem. You can argue that the name is important, but we've been happily
using LADSPA for years, and that's terrible by alomost any metric.

I've started using the name LV2 myself, if it doesn't annoy me within a
week or so, and no-one comes up with a sensible objection it will probably
become permenant. So, if you really hate it speak up now.

> Nothing beats daves' PEEP in any case..;)

Someone was allready using it for a free software project, and it's
visually too close to BEEP which is a widely used protocol library.

- Steve