Re: [linux-audio-dev] Todays changes to "LADSPA2" strawman

From: Dave Robillard <drobilla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 10 2006 - 20:18:32 EEST

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 13:42 +0200, stefan kersten wrote:
> On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 09:07:48AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> > Is there some equivalent mechanism that lets dlloaded
> > plugins dig function pointers out of the the host? Thier
> > public symbol linking system is backward too from what I
> > remember.
>
> one portable way is to pass a struct of function pointers
> filled by the host to the plugin initialization function, as
> done in the SuperCollider server plugin API.

I am also a fan of explicit function pointer passing (instead of weird
shared lib opening stuff that noone's been able to show will actually
work)

Lars' idea of making HostFeatures an array of strings /and/ void*
pointers for a host to pass something (such as a function) that the
plugin will need for that feature gets my vote. Simple, small change,
solves the problem(s).

I /really/ think there should be a nice clean mechanism for hosts to
pass things to the plugin... if LADSPA2 is to be extensible, it needs
this.

-DR-