[linux-audio-dev] Alsa sequencer - starting a track in the middle and looping

From: Kevin Hremeviuc <khremeviuc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 09:08:18 EEST

Hi all,

<the problem>
Trying to implement starting the playing of a track at
a user defined cursor position (not at the start).
Also trying to implement looping. Anybody got any info
or code snippets that could help (c or c++ - not too
complicated though and without too much tangential
code).

I am sorry but I find the alsa documentation not very
helpful. The documentation of the concept of the
sequencer is either out of date or in another case
just enough to get people going. The api documentation
is just woe-ful. I have had to constantly look at
other peoples' code (and try to understand what they
were up to). Have I missed finding some top notch
documentation?
</the problem>

<program description>
Java based gui programme using the java native
interface (JNI) and a c library to access alsa
sequencer. Java allows for a high level of platform
independence. The c library, accessed via the JNI, can
be re-written to interface with various libraries like
portmidi to allow for full platform independence (with
some caveats no doubt).
The concept is the usual song has tracks, which have
parts which have events. Each track also has a global
part for automation data (volume, pan etc).
Each track has 64 patterns (parts). The sequencer
allows for a looping audition mode (using the selected
pattern from each track ). Song mode allows these
patterns to be inserted on a per track basis as
required to create an arrangement.
At the moment the sequencer ends up being very jack
and linux oriented in that many jack audio
applications are started up and managed by the
application itself. I am not sure how this would
translate onto windows. Also because many independent
jack applications are being run things like jackrack
also need to be run (for effects) and jack connections
managed. If there is a windows equivalent maybe
someone could let me know (I haven't touched windows
in years except at uni and in the workplace).
</program description>

<personal backgound info>
I finished uni at the end of last year (after many
years of working full time and studying at half load,
then finally studying full time) and have had some
time on my hands. I have now fully revised a lot of
stuff for getting a job (2 interviews in 5 months - so
it's pretty slow going), built a business web app
using java JSPs, java tag libraries, struts and JDO
JPox for my wife and now I am working on some old code
to build a midi sequencer based around the way I like
to make music (patterns and automation).
</personal backgound info>

Sorry about the above waffle but it explains why have
subscribed to this list for quite a few years and
never contributed anything.

Thanks

Kev