Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [linux-audio-user] more questions on FST

From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 17 2006 - 23:08:32 EEST

Le Wed, 17 May 2006 15:40:44 -0400,
Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com> a écrit :

> On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 13:35 -0500, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:
> > Another question--barring that, if I do replace glibc, will I have to
> > recompile my kernel, wine, etc?
>
> You would have to recompile EVERYTHING. Replacing glibc is major
> surgery.
>
> It's best to just upgrade to a newer distro.
>
> Lee

It is a complicated matter. The system must be consistent. For that,
you can have a program compiled against glib.xxx compiled against
glib.yyy. It should work but is not optimal. If you want to replace
glib.yyy by glib.xxx, it is a long process. You can look at
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml to get an idée. The advantage of doing that is at it is no need to reinstall everithing from the scratch and will it will keep even your preferences, but in case of problem, you can get a completly broken system.

Ciao,
Dominique