[linux-audio-dev] Skype, ekiga, audacity, other audio util probs.

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 19 2006 - 06:19:58 EEST

Greetings everybody, this time I'm temporarily a Yupee, as in upstate
michigan.

I brought a laptop along, with linux on it, FC5, 386 version on an AMD64
turion in an HP dv5320us laptop..

The audio chipset in this is, from an lspci -v:
0:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97
Audio Controller (rev 02)
         Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30a4
         Flags: bus master, 66MHz, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
         Memory at c0003400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
         Capabilities: [40] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit-
Queue=0/0 Enable-

The problem is that anything that requires it to handle a full duplex
audio stream falls over very quickly. Skype in 10 seconds, ekiga even
quicker, and in audacity, it will record great, and it will playback
what it records great, but if you ask it to play as it records like one
would do for overdubs and such, the sound in the headphones represents
only that amount of the audio that may have hit the rails in the a-d,
very chopped up, and often sounding like an echo thats cut into 2ms
pieces and spread out over the next 30 seconds.

Is there any known cure for this other than sueing HP for such a shitty
piece of hardware that cost me about $1399 at CC? That of course will
be a waste of time because their warranty shop says any and all
warranties on it were null and void the instant I put a linux dvd in the
drive.

Any hints that result in getting something like skype or ekiga working
will be applied with many profuse thanks offered.

--
Cheers, Gene