Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi Clock

From: Patrick Stinson <patrickkidd.lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat May 27 2006 - 04:59:06 EEST

Take a look at OSC. It assumes that all computers' clocks are synced
via ntp, which is more than adequate to ensure its 64-bit fixed point
timestamps are accurate. This makes the programming easier and more
reliable, as you only have to program to your local clock. Relying on
an Ethernet LAN for heartbeat-style clock syncing is never a good
idea, as the MIDI specification describes (you don't see a Roland
keyboard assembling a TCP stack on its MIDI port, for example).

OSC does not define a transport, so you may use TCP or UDP or whatever
you want, as many others do. I highly recommend this as a solution for
you.

--
Patrick Kidd Stinson
http://www.patrickkidd.com/