Re: [linux-audio-dev] realtimeness: pthread_cond_signal vs. pipe write

From: Jussi Laako <jussi.laako@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 07 2006 - 11:12:44 EEST

Paul Davis wrote:
> writing to a pipe is not 100% RT safe, but if the pipe is created in a
> shm filesystem, its as close to it as you will get without ...

Nowadays, there's also available a very good interface from POSIX RT
extensions; posix message queues. See mq_send(3). You can use either
mq_receive(3) or mq_notify(3) for reception of the message.

I also measured posix message queues to be about twice as fast as for
example local (unix) sockets.

Now that Linux systems generally are pretty close to full POSIX
(IEEE-1003.1) compliance, I don't see any reason why not to make
advantage of it.

         - Jussi