Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Writing LADSPA plugins in high level language?

From: David Cournapeau <cournape@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 10:32:07 EEST

On 6/15/06, Kjetil S. Matheussen <kjetil@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Phil Frost:
> > Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Writing LADSPA plugins in high level
> > language?
> > <linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden>
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 07:47:36AM +0200, Alex Polite wrote:
> >> Hi there.
> >>
> >> Is it possible to write LADSPA plugins in anything but C/C++? I prefer
> >> perl, ruby or python.
> >>
> >> alex
> >
> > Anything but C/C++, yes. See FAUST [1], a compiled language designed
> > specificly for processing audio streams. Perl, Ruby, or Python, not
> > really.
> >
> > [1] <http://faudiostream.sourceforge.net/>
>

> The realtime extension for snd (scheme-like language) is another:
> http://www.notam02.no/arkiv/doc/snd-rt/
>
> Here is a cool alsa softsynth written in that system:
> http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~kjetil/220c/
there is also chuck, that nobody has mentionned, I think :

http://soundlab.cs.princeton.edu/research/chuck/

I am in no way as experienced as most people on this list for audio
programming, but I don't see why C/C++ should be the only way to write
software to handle audio stream, neither do I see why GC would be the
only useful feature. For example, having language constructs to
explicitely handle "time line" sounds like a good idea to me, and it
looks like both Faust and chuck enable that.

David