Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Writing LADSPA plugins in high level language?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 15:53:11 EEST

On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 16:32 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> I am in no way as experienced as most people on this list for audio
> programming, but I don't see why C/C++ should be the only way to write
> software to handle audio stream, neither do I see why GC would be the
> only useful feature. For example, having language constructs to
> explicitely handle "time line" sounds like a good idea to me, and it
> looks like both Faust and chuck enable that.

there is no universal agreement on how such features should work. if you
provide a "language" in which this is possible, you're really providing
an application (such as supercollider).

a some builtin language idea about what a playlist looks like ? there
are many variants on the idea of a playlist, and i don't think you can
usefully provide abstract building blocks (which is what a language is
for) and support all the variations without compromising at least one of
those goals.

faust, btw, has no concept of a timeline in the sense that chuck does.