Re: [linux-audio-dev] Writing LADSPA plugins in high level language

From: Kjetil S. Matheussen <kjetil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 15 2006 - 22:50:45 EEST

Albert Graef:
> assembler for the low-level stuff. (Not sure about snd, does it compile
> to native code which can execute in realtime?)

Yes, the realtime extension that I wrote compiles a scheme-like language
into hard realtime-safe c code, which can be run and scheduled while snd
is running. Its not optimizing as much as faust, but mostly its not
significantly slower than hand-written C either. Sometimes it can even be
faster. Its a practical language to get real things done because it blends
into guile scheme and common lisp music so that everything is in the same
source and communicates with each other. Its possible to implement things
like ardour or supercollider in snd if anyone want to do that (although
they have to fix some of the many bugs first :-) ).