[linux-audio-dev] Writing a winner takes it all gain filter.

From: Alex Polite <notmyprivateemail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 14:22:24 EEST

Hi there.

Thanks to everyone who responded to the request about high level
languages for audio work.
I made a wikipage to order your input and my findings.

http://tinyurl.com/p4zqo

It definitely looks like Faust is the most serious contender for
writing LADSPA plugins. It seems to be actively maintained and well
documented. It claims to be able to generate different types of
plugins/applications from the same code. I'll print the tutorial and
read it over the weekend.

My first project will be a winner-takes-it-all-gain filter that takes
n number of inputs and lowers the gain on all but the loudest signal.
I want to use this on recordings of conversations where each speaker
has a separate microphone. First I tried sidechain ducking which
didn't really work for me. Then I tried expanding each channel, so as
to mute it when it fell under the threshold. That works pretty well
but it's not perfect. This winner-takes-it-all thingy should be dead
simple to implement and I expect it work pretty well.

alex

--
Alex Polite
http://flosspick.org - finding the right open source