[linux-audio-dev] Re: Writing a winner takes it all gain filter.

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 18 2006 - 04:36:21 EEST

On 6/18/06, Kjetil S. Matheussen <kjetil@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Steve Harris:
> >Hum. It's maybe not tactfuly expressed, but the s-expression syntax has a
> >number of objectors with informed positions.
> >
> >It is near one end of a broad spectrum of languages so inevitably not to
> >everyones taste.
>
> Sure. Syntax can be more compact without s-expressions, and the syntax can
> also be more formed towards specific purposes without s-expressions as
> well, like smalltalk that use {...} instead of (lambda ()...), and C that
> use {...} instead of (begin ...), and things like accessing array values
> or setting values requires more characters with s-expression since you
> can't use special characters for common tasks. But the fact that you have
> complete control over the language in a way that a non-lisper is probably
> not able to understand without ever using lisp macros weights up for all
> those things.
>
> However, when people normally bash lisp, its probably because of the
> following reason:
> All the paranthesis looks ugly and are confusing.
>
> For example, I actually spent almost two years programming lisp before I
> started to like lisp very much. The paranthesis confusion dissapeared
> quickly, but thinking lispish was harder. Before that, I thought python
> was the most beautiful language of them all. (I knew about 20 programming
> languages at that time.)

I program python where I work and it is a really wonderful and
beautiful language. I prefer the syntax of lisp for some stuff though.
What common lisp lacks is a half decent standard library like python
that actually has useful stuff in it. Also an easy way to right
bindings for libs in other languages would be nice too.

Loki