Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 19 2006 - 11:51:05 EEST

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 06:03:43 +1000, jez@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> Hello, i'm new here,
> i've been working on a very simple, backward-forwards compatible extension to
> LADSPA/DSSI to allow hosts to display more meaningful gui's with a
> "describe_value" function which takes the port index and a LADSPA_Data and
> allows the plugin to return a meaningful description. eg.
> for a waveform port it might return "SAW", "SIN", "SQR" etc
> for a cutoff filter it might return the frequency in Hz
> for a tuning port it might return "-4 semitones"

This is handled in LADSPA+RDF and LV2 (aka LADSPA2) using scalePoints, eg.
http://lv2plug.in/plugins/Amp-example.lv2/amp.ttl, search for
lv2:scalePoint. That one's a silly example, but it makes the point.

Things like "-4 semitones" will be handled by a units extensions, which
will also allow hosts to use things like native gain control sliders for
decibel ports, and BBT controls for time inputs.

This idea is better in some ways, though though overall I prefer doing it
though description, rather than programatically.

- Steve