[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

From: Jez Kabanov <jez@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 19 2006 - 12:31:10 EEST

> The idea itself isn't stupid, but the implementation is.. let's say less
> than wise.
>
> (Consider my personal blatant bias, but...) I'd suggest taking a look at
> LV2. There is a data file you can add all this information to (whatever
> information you want to), without defining any APIs, changing any host
> code, etc, etc.
>
> You definitely shouldn't have to break binary compatibility of things
> just to add some hints for hosts, this is the problem LV2 is meant to
> solve...
>
> -DR-
while i'm no expert in this area, i'm having some trouble understanding
your rationale.

how is it breaking binary compatibility?
is binary compatibility even an issue?

shouldn't the host just look for the plugin and load it and check for
the existence of a symbol,
if it exists then call it, otherwise it doesn't and everything is just
as it was.

the host never need know anything about the binary structure of the
plugin except to know that there's a function called "ladspa_descriptor",
adding ladgui certainly doesn't stop old hosts from loading and using
the plugin,

i've modified nekobee to use ladgui and it runs exactly as it used to in
an unmodified rosegarden,
so how is binary compatibilty an issue?

whereas LV2 breaks compatibilty with old plugins (this seems like more
of an issue to me), adds a lot of complexity and requires the host to
use an additional liblv2 library.

- Jez