Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

From: Alfons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jun 26 2006 - 14:53:13 EEST

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 09:07:11AM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 04:30:40 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
>
> > Plus, it's completely useless for GUIs in a separate process, while LV2
> > is not (it's just a data file, anything can load it, it's not even
> > architechture dependent).
> >
> > Just my two cents, but definitely not the right thing.
>
> That's possibly a bit harsh. I think it's reasonable to say that based on
> our experiences of LADSPA we know that's not the best way to go.

If the GUI is in a separate process and connected by e.g. OSC, it
could as well be on a machine that doesn't have the plugin files.
Or that has a different version of them (for perfectly good reasons).
To ensure consistency the GUI should get its plugin descriptions from
the host anyway. This works even with POL (Plain Old Ladspa).

--
FA
Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!