Re: [linux-audio-dev] fst, VST 2.0, kontakt

From: Forest Bond <forest@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jun 30 2006 - 16:55:07 EEST

> You are... Linux sampler doesn't support built-in effects because of what
> working with audio is like under linux. JACK (jack audio connection kit)
> is an application that allows one to manage connection between various
> audio software. This includes linux sampler, but also plugins based on the
> LADSPA sdk. You are right to say that there are no built-in effect in
> Linuxsampler. It's not a lack of functionnality. It's meant to be like
> this because you can connect linuxsampler's output to a effect management
> rack like jack-rack (which also benefits of being jack compatible) have
> any effect you like applied (and there's loads ! see
> http://www.ladspa.org/).

I can appreciate this modularity as much as the next fellow, but having effects
support in the sampler itself is near-critical. Creating sophisticated sounds
using a sampler requires it.

I need to have multiple layers of samples, each filtered and modulated
differently. You can't do this in post-processing. It just isn't possible.
Even supposing Linux Sampler could route sounds out to effects and back in to
the sampler, that would be far to complicated to be even remotely usable without
giving up huge amounts of sampling felixibility.

This is not about applying reverb to a drum kit. It's about having 6 samples
triggered when I press a key on the keyboard, and each sample being filtered,
pitch bended, saturated differently, and modulating all of those parameters
using LFO's, envelopes, and midi parameters. You can't do that using "outboard"
effects.

-Forest