Re: [linux-audio-dev] modular sequencing environment/synth // any projects to dig in?

From: Stefan Westerfeld <stefan@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 06 2006 - 02:03:53 EEST

   Hi!

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 07:06:06PM +0200, Niklas Klügel wrote:
> I am currently writing on a modular synth with great emphasis on
> sequencing (but allowing tight interaction between both parts)
> in a comparable modular way (pattern creation/algortihmic
> composition/chord filters etc),

Well, beast (http://beast.gtk.org) is a modular synthesis environment
with integrated sequencer. However, the sequencing part is not as
modular as the synthesis part; as this seems to be a central idea for
you, you'd need to write the code for that.

> As I mainly write QT-Applications I'd prefer a project that can be
> either easily extended to use QT or which already uses it. I think it
> is better to work on an existing project, since
> I am currently busy with releasing an album and university-shiznit and
> I can not imagine doing everything in a prolific way in parallel.

If you prefer QT because it is C++: we're slowly migrating stuff from C
to C++. The GUI of beast is Gtk+, though. However, the separation
between synthesis code and GUI code is rather clean, so you could
implement a Qt C++ GUI on top of the existing synthesis/sequencing code,
if you really wanted to.

And yes, I think unless you have a few years to spend only on coding
your project, I'd recommend working on some existing project, since
writing a modular synthesis app and sequencing and a good gui is a lot
of work.

   Cu... Stefan

--
Stefan Westerfeld, Hamburg/Germany, http://space.twc.de/~stefan