Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Language fanboys [was Re: light C++ set for WAV]

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 04:44:26 EEST

On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 09:14 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> > ... Now I know what the topic of my next nightmare is going to be :)
> >
> > -DR-
> >

> same... i know deep down Jens you are actually an intelligent guy from
> your other posts, but you really must think in a very different way to
> me. This looks really, really horrible compared to osc and
> fantastically inflexible. Especially for the original goal of this
> thread, engine and gui process separation... communicating between
> engine and gui in midi just doesn't seem nice...

The thing here is that I prefer to use external knobs rather than
widgets on a screen. The only way to communicate in a way that works
across boundaries is midi.

As for flexibility. If we stick to the NRPN's for a moment, we could
think of them as a huge switch-board with 127*127 destinations (msb*lsb)
each capable of holding a 14bit value. Their meaning is what we want or
need them to be. To me this seems like a flexible enough starting point.

As for applying meaning to bit-patterns, that would depend on the
application. My own variables comes in multiples of 8 or 4 so that helps
in remembering what and where they are.