Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Akai's MPC4000 Sampler/Workstation Open Source Project

From: Renich Bon Ćirić <renich@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 27 2006 - 16:51:23 EEST

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Renich Bon Ćirić wrote:
>> Well, everybody's telling me that Akai's OS is something else.
>> Realtime stuff and 2 or 3 engines and DSPs to manage. Besides, we
>> have to support akai's native file formats, like PROGRAM, MULTI and
>> Sequence.
>>
>> I really don't know why... I'm just hearing what everybody says. You
>> think it shouldn't be that hard to port Linux and develop the effects
>> and stuff, and to support Akai's native format? Would you give me
>> some arguments and reasons?
>>
>> Thanks for the input!
> The datasheet you posted it nice a detailed. We would need
> documentation regarding the file formats, so we could implement
> support for them.
> I think the biggest problem you will come up against will be getting
> the equipment and the open source developers together.
> Unless you donate the kit to each developer, nothing will happen. The
> kit is far too expensive for a developer to purchase out of good will.
>
> James

Is the kit totally necesary? Can we build an emulator out of the service
manual? An emulator would be a natural step, i think. In any case, I
have some questions about a post a friend of mine made to the forum
where it all started. You can check it for yourself at:
http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=54825&start=60 but I will
paste it here. Can anybody comment on it?