MidiShare (was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Which sequencer framework for a simple MIDI drum looper ?)

From: Jay Vaughan <jayv@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 16 2006 - 13:45:22 EEST

At 10:32 +0200 16/8/06, _ langagemachine wrote:
>Yes, a lot of research has obviously been put into this library ; the
>fact that it has plenty of language bindings (java, lisp, python) is
>attractive also. Plus, the JMusic project provides classes for
>manipulating musical data, and an interface to Midishare...

MidiShare is quite mature.

>I will make some tries at it on a CCRMA box, I think.

Thats great - I'd really like to hear how you get along with it ..

>On a more general keynote, is it not paradoxical that when a piece of
>software becomes mature enough, it tends to fade out of the general
>attention ?

Sure. The "Not Invented Here" syndrome plays a big part in that, I
think .. people don't want to admit that, a lot of times, software
doesn't actually need a re-write. ;)

That said, I'm almost ready to release MidiShare for the GP2X
hand-held gaming console, which will be a very nice platform indeed
to hack MIDI applications on .. I'm sure it won't be long until the
two platforms make a fair bit of noise.

:)

--
;