Re: [linux-audio-dev] Linux kernel HZ, audio latency and how to measure?

From: Stephen Sinclair <radarsat1@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 19 2006 - 03:26:09 EEST

I've certainly seen setitimer()-driven sleeping get much better
response time on a kernel compiled to 1000 Hz (with preemption) over
one compiled to 100 Hz (without preemption).

>From this, I think it should be possible to say that one could read
the audio card with smaller buffers more quickly, reducing latency.
But I haven't made tests using audio, specifically, so I won't say
more. I suspect the kernel driver and userspace API (ALSA or
whatever) might need to be made to take advantage of it, but I know
little about ALSA internals.

Steve