Re: [linux-audio-dev] Greenphone

From: Lorn Potter <lpotter@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 01 2006 - 23:44:19 EEST

On Thursday 17 August 2006 03:03, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> I stumbled on this one today:

Just saw this post, have been on holiday and not really paying attention to
emails much.

> - Trolltech, best known for development tools and Linux application
> stacks for phones and other mobile devices, will ship an "open"
> Linux-based phone in September. The "Greenphone" features a
> user-modifiable Linux OS, and is meant to jumpstart a third-party native
> application ecosystem for Linux-based mobile phones.
> [...]
>

> So far I've figured out that it's an Xscale of the kind with mmx, which
> suits my purposes just fine. And that there is a /dev/dsp in there
> somewhere :-)

of course.

> I have no idea what kind of price point they are considering, but I have
> notifyed my significant other that this is the *ultimate* christmas
> present for a u**x geek ...

It is part of a Qtopia Development Kit, and is not targeted at consumers and
is in limited supply, so don't expect a normal consumer mass market price
point.
It will be affordable, but not cheap.

> I suppose one will have to "play" it by wawing ones hand in front of the
> camera?

The hardware support is in various states of working, but we will provide
updates as it improves.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Trolltech Qtopia Community Manager