Re: [linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

From: Andres Cabrera <andres@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 17:01:19 EEST

Hi,

John Rigg wrote:
> Some additional nit-picks:
>
> "these models are as closed and unknown as their analog originals"
>
> Analog equipment is very rarely closed and unknown, as anyone who
> understands electronics can usually look at the circuitry and work out what
> it does. Sometimes a manufacturer will encapsulate circuits in resin
> or use custom ICs to prevent copying, but that was pretty rare when most
> of the `classic' analog compressors were designed.

True, I'm a digital age guy, so I hadn't thought of that...
> "If a compressor had a knee setting, relevant settings were chosen"
>
> What is a relevant setting?

By relevant settings I mean evaluting several settings across the
available ones to later determine the behavior of the knee. If the knee
was a toggle switch, the different knee settings were evaluated.
> "lower frequencies tended to be less attenuated, while DC offsets tended
> to be the most attenuated. This seems to point that all plug-ins tested
> use some form of RMS or integration method."
>
> This doesn't follow. Most compressors do indeed use some form
> of integration, but that's not the reason for these effects.
> The lesser attenuation of lower frequencies points to high pass
> filtering in the signal used for envelope tracking, and the greater
> attenuation of DC offset is likely due to high pass filtering in the
> audio path (analogous to DC blocking capacitors in a hardware compressor).

I was assuming that RMS measruments and windowed integration act as a
high pass filter, is this not true?
> John

Thanks for your comments,
Andrés