Re: [linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

From: John Rigg <ladev@email-addr-hidden-man.co.uk>
Date: Sun Oct 15 2006 - 14:05:14 EEST

On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 02:18:24PM +0100, Dan Mills wrote:
> If those sort of settings are to be available in a software compressor
> then we need upsampling as the bandwidth of the sidechain must be at
> least 10Khz (and possibly much higher) and the product of a 10Khz
> bandwidth sidechain and a 20Khz bandwidth audio stream exceeds 1/2 the
> SR for 44.1 and 48Khz.

While we're on this subject, has anyone analysed the aliasing behaviour
of the LADSPA compressors? This post reminded me of an article I read
in the AES journal a while back, and a search on aes.org found it:

Aliasing in Digital Clippers and Compressors
- Paul Kraght - Nov 2000 AES Journal

The author refers to some previous work by Mapes-Riordan, who has
a quick overview of the problem here:
http://www.omniaaudio.com/tech/dynamics.htm

As Ben Loftis points out, it might be nice to address any potential
problems here before the inevitable growth of interest from high end
users.

John