Re: [linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 17 2006 - 20:08:00 EEST

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 06:50:04PM +0200, David Olofson wrote:

> On Tuesday 17 October 2006 16:43, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > It could be. OTOH, most DACs today would upsample and filter before
> > the real conversion takes place, and could allow for this. But maybe
> > they don't, and just clip at that point.
>
> I would consider that a hardware bug - but you never know... If this
> actually does happen, it would certainly cause a great deal of damage
> with the kind of compression applied to most things these days.

I'd say that the damage is already done by that type of compression.
Squeezing out the latest 0.1 dB of apparent loudness seems to be
the norm these days (much more than say 15 years ago). Nobody gets
any better by this, it only leads to listening fatigue and destroys
most music.

--
FA
Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.