Re: [linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

From: John Rigg <ladev@email-addr-hidden-man.co.uk>
Date: Wed Oct 18 2006 - 02:12:04 EEST

On Tue, Oct 17, 2006 at 10:04:20PM +0100, Dan Mills wrote:
> but at 44.1, there just is not the bandwidth in either
> the control or AUDIO channels to alllow fast gain
> changes. Therefore we need to upsample both the audio
> and the control data (albiet that the control
> upsampler can get away with a lot less bandwidth then
> the audio one).

If the control signal is derived from the upsampled input
to the compressor, that is taken care of.

> With both the audio and control bandlimited to 0.25 *
> FS, we can safely multiply them, any more then that
> (split any way you like) and it all falls apart.

Yes; that more or less makes 2x upsampling essential.

> With respect to viewing the attack and decay logic as
> a LPF, this is only the case if the same timeconstant
> applies to both (seldom the case), as otherwise there
> is a discontinuity in the rate of change at the
> transition which will itself generate HF splatter.

Isn't there always a discontinuity here anyway? When it changes from
attack to decay the rate of gain change switches suddenly from
negative to positive. A bandwidth limit on the control signal
should take care of that, as long as the cutoff is steep enough.

John