Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI is playing but no sound

From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 23 2006 - 18:09:11 EEST

Le Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:16:38 -0400,
"Stephen Sinclair" <radarsat1@email-addr-hidden> a écrit :

> > What was I doing wrong here?
>
> Hi,
> I'm pretty sure that KMid and aplaymidi are both just simple players
> that direct MIDI output to your soundcard's MIDI interface. (Someone
> correct me if I'm wrong.) They are not midi _synthesizers_, so you
> won't hear any sound unless you have a synthesizer attached to your
> soundcard.

Kmid and aplaymidi just read a midi file and send it to an output. If a
synthesizer is connected to that output, or if this output correspond to
timidity++ running as a server or to the synth of a sound card like a live or an
audigy, you will hear the music.

> Instead, try Timidity++, which is probably in your distribution.
> http://timidity.sourceforge.net/#info
>

> Steve

The big difference between windows and linux is at windows will install by
default a software synthesizer when most in not all the linux distribution do
not do that, even if timidity++ is included with most of them. So many windows
users are not aware at they don't have a synth in their sound card.

Timidity is a great software, you can configure it as a MIDI server that will
appear as a MIDI synth in alsa and use sf2 soundfonts with it. You can even
play midi file directly with it. Just run
timidity <file.mid>

--
Dominique Michel