Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI is playing but no sound

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 17:20:31 EEST

On Tuesday 24 October 2006 06:52, Mulyadi Santosa wrote:
>Hi....
>
>> Kmid and aplaymidi just read a midi file and send it to an output. If
>> a synthesizer is connected to that output, or if this output
>> correspond to timidity++ running as a server or to the synth of a
>> sound card like a live or an audigy, you will hear the music.
>
>Thanks a lot, it works by using Timidity++ (in fact it is in FC5, i am
>just not aware of it).

Sometimes its even easier than that. My audigy 2 is not a ca106 card, but
an emu10k1 card. I can load, useing sfxload, a file containing the
general midi voices at bootup, one such file is on the cd that came with
the card, and then all the software has to do it feed the midi file to the
card and it does all the processing. Timidity can do this too of course,
but needs reasonably heavy iron in the cpu to do it comfortably.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)