Re: [Jackit-devel] [linux-audio-dev] Re: Multiplexing 4 channels on SPDIF

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 19:52:34 EET

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 11:41:36AM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 17:35 +0100, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > What they want to do is trick hardware 2-ch recorders into accepting
> > the 4-ch signal. So what is in reality 4 channels at 48 kHz will be
> > presented as 2 channels at 96 kHz.
> >
> I don't think it's useful to discuss further until technical details are
> available.

What do you need more than what is available on http://www.core-sound.com/4Mic/2.php ?

It doesn't say how the multiplexing is done, but that's probably easy enough to
find out and is not the real problem. Probably it's just alternating channels,
but I will ask them. Everything else is there AFAICS.

The real question is how to fit this into the existing architecture:

  - hardware presents itself as 2 * 96 kHz
  - user wants to see a device with 4 * 48 kHz.

Is there any online documentation on how to write ALSA plugins ?

--
FA
Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.