Re: [linux-audio-dev] alsa, oss , efficiency?

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 02 2006 - 21:58:37 EET

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 10:33 +0100, lemmel wrote:

Lots of people have been wondering, but this is the meat I think:

> > > and even randomly truncated,

The difference in behaviour /might/ arise from differences in philosophy
of closing the device at end of file. Should we shut up now! Or wait
untill the buffer is empty ... The buffer could be incredibly huge, not
least because Linux-audio traditionally do not have RT capabilities, so
waiting for that has the potential to be very annoying. OTOH, our man is
not getting his signal through (which is also annoying )

Fast and dirty solution: Append some silence at the end of your
test-signal, enough to lure your application not to close the device
while there is still valid signal in the buffer.

Real solution: Ehh ... I get lost in ALSA documentation for users (sound
programmers that is, not device driver programmers.) Where is the
canonical "Hello World" example?