Re: [linux-audio-dev] OSS will be back

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 09:53:30 EET

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 06:37:13PM +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> On 11/3/06, Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> >On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 13:42 +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> >
> >> mmm. I think they are missing the point about ALSA vs OSS api here. It
> >> doesn't matter. The only one who should care about alsa vs oss is the
> >> jack guys who write the jack backend. Everyone else uses the clear,
> >> nice, well implemented, well documented modern and sensible jack api
> >> instead of some very 80's style pipe based system.
> >
> >JACK isn't based on "some very 80' style" named pipes anymore? When did
> >that happen?
>
> I actually meant vs a callback based system. Jack being callback based
> makes it easier to understand in my mind. I didn't mention named
> pipes, just the | <> signs. Even without the pipe section i think the
> comment still stands. As a person new to all 3 i found jack by far the
> easiest to understand and use.

I'd say that the essential feature of JACK is not that it is a
callback based system, but that it presents and expects audio
data in fixed size blocks and enforces the rule that all clients
must have processed a block before the next arrives.

This could be done with blocking as well as with a callback,
and indeed it would be useful if JACK offered that option.

--
FA
Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.