Re: [linux-audio-dev] MIDI bank select MSB + LSB

From: Christian Schoenebeck <cuse@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Dec 09 2006 - 18:04:16 EET

Am Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 03:01 schrieb Alexandre Ratchov:
> Keyboards that only support "MSB only" mode (or "LSB only" mode)
> are just too limited and there is no workaround that will "just
> work" with both modes. AFAIK, there is no standard way to detect if
> a device will use MSB, LSB or both. According to midi standard the
> bank number is (LSB + 128 * MSB), so the "Both" mode is the correct
> one to use. That's also what most users would expect.

Of course there is no real way to detect if a keyboard sends MSB-only or
LSB-only bank selects, but there would be a workaround at least. I guess I
will implement it similar as suggested by Grigor and Rui:

        "Normally, the instrument is only changed effectively when, and only when, a
        program change is received? Check. So, let's try having two int placeholders
        per MIDI channel for bank selection in linuxsampler, one as MSB and another
        as LSB, initialized to -1. If a bank MSB arrives, it will override the
        corresponding variable. Same as LSB, but independently. Then, if the LSB
        variable has the -1 value then, most probably, the sending device does not
        support the conjugated bank selection method, and in that case the MSB value
        will function as LSB alone, but iif the stored LSB value is -1, meaning that
        it was untuoched by the sending device. Once the program change is done, just
        reset both values to -1 and we're back in business ;)"

At least I can't see a drawback of this workaround.

Am Samstag, 9. Dezember 2006 13:30 schrieb Jens M Andreasen:
> Who needs such a vast sample library? I can see the usefulness of having
> various dogs, cats, craws, crickets, seagulls or traffic-jams to set the
> the tone of a scene filmed off-site. but 127^3 is kind of a huge number.

We'll see. ;)

The point is that it doesn't make much of a difference to me in regards of the
effort to implement it either with 127 or 127^2 banks, beside that little
overhead of writing to this mailing list probably. ;)

> Is it even implemented on the receiving side?
> Inquiring minds wants to know :-)

Yes, it is implemented on LS CVS HEAD:

        http://www.linuxsampler.org/api/draft-linuxsampler-protocol.html#anchor14

But as you can see you have to map the respective sounds by yourself, i.e. by
QSampler's new MIDI map editor or by manually placing the map commands in a
LSCP script file. For each entry you can indiidually define if the respective
sound should be loaded on demand or preloaded ("persistent").

But I'm currently working to extend this mapping feature a bit: ATM you can
only manage one single, global map which is used by all sampler channels.
Within the next days however you can add an arbitrary amount of individual
maps and define which sampler channel should be associated with which map.
That way you can i.e. at least create two maps: one for "normal" instruments
and one for drumkits and in contrast to the common GM behavior you could
assign such a drumkit map to other MIDI channels beside MIDI channel 10
and/or you can define a 2nd drumkit map or whatever.

CU
Christian