[linux-audio-dev] ALSA performance issues?

From: Mario Lang <mlang@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 16:40:30 EET

Hi.

I just tried to get sound working on a LinkSys NSLU2 (ARM) running
Debian Etch using a USB sound card.

What I discovered I find pretty strange, and would like to know some
more details. Apparently, all ALSA native clients don't
manage to play sound click-free, they actually have underruns all the
time. However, if I use OSS (via the snd-pcm-oss module) and set
libao to use the oss driver, I get perfect playback with about
20% CPU use at maxiumum by the user-space app playing/decoding files.

This is a bit strange, isn't it. OSS-emulation actually uses the same
kernel code to access the actual hardware. I am just very vaguely
familiar with the whole ALSA architecture, but it feels as if
the problem here actually lies inside the user-space alsa libraries?

Did anyone ever see such an effect, and investigate more closely
what is the reason for the difference?

--
CYa,
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@email-addr-hidden