[linux-audio-dev] nohid boot option ?

From: Dave Phillips <dlphillips@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 27 2006 - 14:17:39 EET

Greetings:

My ancient 800 MHz machine has dead PS/2 ports so I plugged my mouse and
keyboard into its available USB ports. Alas, the keyboard disappears
after selecting my kernel image (Demudi) in grub. I'm away from the
machine right now so I don't have the exact text of the error message.
However, I do recall that it refers to a USB-related IRQ error.

I tried to install the 32-bit version of 64Studio, but the error occurs
during the configuration process: As soon as I press Enter at the boot
prompt the keyboard is no longer present to the system. :(

I Googled for some more information regarding the problem and found that
it is in fact a known issue. However, none of the proposed solutions
worked for me. I also sent messages to the 64Studio dev list and to Free
and Daniel, but I've heard nothing back from them or the list (I think
my email to the list isn't getting there).

One thing does work: Dynebolic includes a nohid boot parameter that does
the trick ('linux nohid'), so I can still boot into the machine and
access my data. So, my question is: What's Dynebolic doing that the
other distros aren't ? I'd surely like to boot directly into my system,
and I'd like to install 32-bit 64Studio, but I can't do either until I
solve this problem.

Any suggestions ?

Best,

dp