Re: [linux-audio-dev] processing plugin standard wrapper

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Feb 14 2007 - 23:18:21 EET

2007/2/14, Xavier Amatriain <xavier@email-addr-hidden>:
> Hard to jump in the thread at this point, but let me try...
>
> I agree that the plugin approach is severely flawed in many senses
> (including the false sense of "freedom" that gives to developers that
> are then caught in proprietary specifications). Having a better open
> standard like LV2 is a good thing but I see Stefano's point because this
> is not going to help promote interoperability, is it?

Right.

> My humble opinion is that the solution is already sketched out by
> existing tools. Imagine an open standard that combines audio streaming
> connection a la Jack with control interchange a la OSC. Make it 100%
> cross-platform, add a little of Dataflow theory into it to guarantee
> proper scheduling and avoiding deadlocks and... voila!

... just a dream? :-)

> Curiously enough this has a lot to do with another email sent by another
> CLAM developer (Pau) to the list ("Data-flow systems integration").
>
> I think an effort in integrating data + control inter-application
> communication would be much more worthwhile than following the plugin
> route.
>
> Stefano, have you though what your wrapper will suffer when let's say
> VST 3.0 is published and you have to rewrite all your stuff simply
> because Steinberg has decided to rename a few functions or change the
> behavior of many others. Are you going to support a subset of the
> specification (like most hosts do)? a subset of all of them? a superset?

I mean a superset and I know that's a tremendous amount of work, I do
hope that someone will join in.

> Also your talk on LTI makes me think that you are not familiar with
> models of computation (e.g. Dataflow Networks). Contact me off-list if
> you need good pointers).

I'm going to do it right now. I'm just a beginner in DSP-related stuff
(I have my first DSP exam the day after tomorrow), but it interests me
a lot.
I have some texts on the topic, but knowledge is always welcome :-)

Stefano