Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: processing plugin standard wrapper

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 00:41:06 EET

2007/2/18, Jeff McClintock <jef@email-addr-hidden>:

> Yeah, It's a good optimization. The SynthEdit plugin API supports
> inputs being flagged as 'linear', if several such plugins are used in
> parallel they are automatically collapsed into a single instance which
> is fed the summed signals of the original plugins. Plugin are collapsed
> only when their control inputs are the same.
>
> BEFORE optimation:
>
> [plugin]-->[delay1]------>
> [plugin]-->[delay2]-/
>
> AFTER:
>
> [plugin]--->[delay1]--->
> [plugin]-/
>
> e.g. two parallel 100ms delays are combined. Two different length
> delays aren't.
>
> This is most useful in synth patches where each voice is an identical
> parallel sub-patch.
>

> Jeff McClintock

After the first 40 mails ( :-P ) I still have the impression that this
is a good thing after all and that it is more time-consuming than hard
to do, so I think that if someone joins me we can do all of this
become reality. So here I'm asking once again: does someone work on
this?

Anyway I'm continuously uploading the code I'm working on to the
FreeADSP SVN repository (naspro folder), so that everyone can see how
things are going and can give suggests and/or make arguments and/or
anything.

Right now I've only set up an autotoolized tree (+ doxygen and texinfo
support), wrote some header files and a good piece of the module

I say it again in case it is not clear: this will NOT be a new plugin
API, since its aim is completely different, it's all about
interoperability among existing standards and, in some future, about
optimization and experimentation/research of new processing paradigms.

Sincerely,

Stefano