Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: processing plugin standard wrapper

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 19:20:54 EET

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 18:10 +0100, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> > nope. thats not a linear arrangement of the two mono plugins, but a
> > parallel arrangement. the signal going to each instance of the mono
> > plugin is different.
>
> I'm obscure even in Italian, I can just imagine how it can sound like
> in English :-)
> I was not talking about that specific thing, I was talking about a
> case which could take benefit of some kind of parallel processing
> merging.

you don't merge or gain anything with a parallel graph. only serial
ordering is amenable to "optimization", and such arrangements are very
rare.

> > you can think all you want. unless there a plugin->host callback that
> > allows the plugin to determine its operating environment in huge detail,
> > this kind of idea is pretty impossible to make use of.
>
> What?
> Once again: misunderstood! These optimizations involve that the
> "wrapper" (I should stop calling it this way) knows about the network
> of processing objects (read: plugins) and that these last ones contain
> "generic" information on their functionality (ex. STFT for LTI proc.
> objects).
> Then the wrapper takes care of optimizing the net.

find me a host author who would want to use such a thing... managing
plugins is a central task of a host, and handing that over to some
"wrapper" that hides information from the host doesn't make the host's
life easier, it makes it more complex.

--p