Re: [linux-audio-dev] audiogui

From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 19:22:31 EET

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 03:45:18PM +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> On Monday 26 Feb 2007 23:40, Leonard Ritter wrote:
> > radial is for weirdos with the motor skills of a clockmaker.
>
> Correct! But where have all the radial supporters gone? There were
> enough to sustain quite a flamewar about this a couple of years back.

They are tired of this discussion? ;p
(No, it wasn't just me)

> I prefer linear in both axes (right or up to increment, left or down to
> decrement), so there may be some scope for disagreement after all.

To me, the main problem is the lack of agreement on wether
plain knobs should be radial, linear-vertical, linear horizontaly,
linear-both.

That was part of my motivation for fan-sliders:
http://leute.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/en/fan-sliders/index.html

I still think classic knob graphics imply radial and anything else
is visual lying. Quite a while ago I worked on a concept of widgets
with a knob-size footprint and graphics that hint at their non radial
nature.

First I worked out 2 ways how they could be linear without using
only one axis. The first image contains 2 charts to explain
the 2 ways:
- using distance the pointer has been move from the center after
mouse-down
- projecting the current position to the nearest axis

http://thorwil.affenbande.org/index.php/2007/02/27/circulars/

There was one developer who pretty much insistet on knobs in
Phat and who was at one point willing to implement my design(s),
but then dropped it just because I called them not-knobs at
some point (plus being busy otherwise, I guess). Nobody else was
in sight, so I stopped there.

> ... panner, fader (based on Hydrogen).

Looked at Ardour 2 recently? I think you should have a look at
the new sliders and panners.

--
Thorsten Wilms