Re: [linux-audio-dev] Getting out of the software game

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 15:17:03 EET

On Wednesday 14 March 2007 06:01, Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> In particular the
> Debian-based distributions seem to be intentionally hamstrung when comes
> to supporting binary-only drivers, which makes running the custom kernel
> required for low-latency work *and* the binary nVidia driver almost
> impossible.

Well, given the long-standing ideological "bent" of that distro, that's hardly
surprising. However, it's neither accurate nor fair to take the policies of
one particular integrator and set them up as being representative of "linux"
as a whole. Other distros (not to mention Linus himself) have more lenient
policies --e.g. OpenSuSE. That's precisely why multiple distros exist --
different things are important to different people.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Chief Developer |
| | Paravel Systems |
| As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it |
| wasn't as easy to get programs right as we had thought. Debugging had |
| to be discovered. I can remember the exact instant when I realized |
| that a large part of my life from then on was going to be spent in |
| finding mistakes in my own programs. |
| -- Maurice Wilkes discovers debugging, 1949 |