Re: [linux-audio-dev] Getting out of the software game

From: James Courtier-Dutton <James@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 00:05:02 EET

Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
> After a few days of careful consideration, I've decided that I no longer
> want to be involved in developing software for Linux. It's been a
> difficult decision to make, having used Linux as my main desktop OS for
> around 10 years now, but I feel that the community as a whole is going
> in a direction that is not compatible with my moral compass.
>
> To that end, I'm pulling everything I've written under the GPL or a
> GPL-compatible licence. If there are copies out there, great, feel
> free. Anything I'm interested in will be rewritten from the ground up
> under a BSD-style licence, which to be honest I've always preferred.
>
> Part of the reason for this is the increasing difficulty of using binary
> drivers with Linux. I know a lot of people don't like them, but I like
> to have things like accelerated video *and* custom kernels without all
> the buggering about involved in getting it working. In particular the
> Debian-based distributions seem to be intentionally hamstrung when comes
> to supporting binary-only drivers, which makes running the custom kernel
> required for low-latency work *and* the binary nVidia driver almost
> impossible.
>
> I don't want to be associated with this nonsense any more. It's not
> what Free Software is about.
>
> Gordonjcp

I guess you started this in order to start a flame war.
But if not, I thought you should know that the 3d nvidia stuff has
already been reverse engineered.
It is called Nouveau, and there is even a video from lca2007 explaining it:
http://lca2007.linux.org.au/talk/154
Nouveau's web site:
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/

So, soon there will be open source GPL nvidia 3d graphics drivers for
Linux, so you won't need those nvidia binary drivers any more.
Thus, you problem will be solved.

So, there is no need to even support any binary only drivers in Linux.

Kind Regards

James