Re: [linux-audio-dev] promoting LAC 2007

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 27 2007 - 17:17:16 EEST

Hallo,
Pieter Palmers hat gesagt: // Pieter Palmers wrote:

> They didn't express anything special during the conference. One of their
> founders (at least I think he is) was there, and apparently he's an old
> student of TU-Berlin, and TU-Berlin just asked.
>
> During the panel discussion he basically said that the "sell
> shrinkwrapped boxes" model works pretty fine for them and that he
> doesn't see any reasons for them to change. And I think he also said
> that he didn't see any opportunities for open source in that field.
>
> Now that I write it down like this, I'm even more puzzled as to why they
> actually sponsored. Maybe my mental recorder is somehow broken and I
> don't remember things correctly.

As I remember what Ableton-Founder Gerhard Behles said was that he
likes running a successful business with Ableton Live as a
shrinkwrapped product, but that trying to sell shrinkwrapped open
source Linux sound software at least currently wouldn't work. And that
is something that we all basically know: Not many people would buy a
shrink wrapped Ardour when it's available as a free download. (Many
people also don't buy shrinkwrapped Ableton Live because it's
available illegally as a free download, but enough people still do.)

Regarding the sponsoring: I think, it was a nice move by Ableton to
support the LAC, even though we're not the target audience for Live
and potential competitors. But still the demo-CDs with Live on it were
gone quite fast. Maybe one day there will be a Linux version of Live,
but it's not something I particularily look forward to, as I wouldn't
use it anyways unless it gets opensource'd.

Ciao